How to sell jewelry online? If you want to know how to sell jewelry online, this post is for you. Here we discuss everything from the concept to final stages of marketing about starting an online jewelry business.
How to sell jewelry online – an overview
Selling jewelry online is a profitable business. Whether your business plan is to make or re-sell jewelry, this post will teach you how to get your business idea off the ground and how to build a successful online jewelry store.
Also, here, I have included some amazing examples of online jewelry stores for you to get inspiration for your business. In this post, we will discuss,
- How to select a niche for your online jewelry store
- How to make jewelry to sell online
- How to find wholesale jewelry suppliers to re-sell jewelry
- How to set up an online jewelry store
- How to take photos to add to the online store
- How to handle marketing for your online jewelry business
Before we get started, I must say there are thousands of online jewelry sellers in the market. And, penetrating into this market will not be easy as you may think. But it is not impossible. All you need is a “fresh take” to penetrate into this market. So, you need to have the creativity, enthusiasm, and grit to win this game.
Find a niche to start an online jewelry business
Why do we need a niche to sell jewelry online? Well, as we have already discussed, the online jewelry market is almost saturated. So, to penetrate this market and to start selling, you need an effective marketing strategy.
And, when it comes to marketing, rather than trying to sell to everyone, it is easier (and effective) to target a group of audience with similar interests. So, you can build your brand message to resonate their interests. In this way, you can easily sell your jewelry to this particular audience. That is why you need to have a niche to sell jewelry online. By having a niche, you can directly address your target audience.
So, what is the best niche to sell jewelry online? Let us see.
There are three types of jewelry to sell online
- Fine jewelry – Fine jewelry is made with gems and precious (or semi-precious) metals. This type of jewelry is usually bought for special occasions, like weddings. Product qualities like the design, materials, and craftsmanship set you apart from the competitors. You need a unique brand identity to sell fine jewelry online.
Price range – $$$$
- Costume jewelry – Costume or fashion jewelry are made with inexpensive materials (e.g., plastic, acrylic, beads, wires, plated metal, etc.). Costume jewelry is usually mass-produced and meant for everyday customers.
Price range – $
- Mid-range jewelry – Mid-range jewelry are the products that are in between the fine and costume jewelry. They are made with inexpensive gems, metals, textiles, wood, acrylic, etc. Mid-range jewelry is usually meant for gift-giving customers. Rather than the cost of materials, the uniqueness of the design and craftsmanship are the main selling points for mid-range jewelry.
Price range – $$
When you start to sell jewelry online, it is better to choose one of the above three types as your product range. Then you can select your target customer (brides, young women, etc.) and build your marketing campaign around them.
Also, you can narrow down your target audience as much as you like. For example, if you wish to sell only the pendants under costume jewelry, you can do so. But, you must understand that when you narrow down your niche, while you can have a better chance to sell your jewelry online, your market size will get reduced too.
So, my advice is,
- If you sell low price jewelry, broaden your audience and sell more varieties.
- If you sell high price jewelry, narrow down your niche, and sell a focused product. (E.g. Diamond rings).
Decide to make or outsource jewelry to sell online
As we have discussed at the beginning, you have two basic options to find jewelry to sell online.
- You can make them (DIY, homemade or outsourced craftsmanship)
- You can re-sell the jewelry from wholesale suppliers.
Designing and making your own jewelry to sell online
Jewelry making is an ideal business for hands-on creatives. Or, if you have a unique jewelry design idea, you can find a skilled craftsperson to make your idea a reality. In this section, we will discuss how to find design inspirations and where to learn jewelry making. Anyway, we are not going to talk in detail about jewelry making. You will find tons of valuable courses and free classes from the links that I have posted below.
How to find jewelry design inspirations
- Pinterest is the best place to find beautiful jewelry design inspirations. For example, Etsy jewelry is a popular board for jewelry designs.
- Other than Pinterest, you can also Google for popular jewelry sellers and explore their product catalogs to find inspirations
- You can also visit some popular blogs about jewelry to find new design trends. For example, Gem gossip and The jewelry loupe are two such popular blogs about jewelry.
Where to learn jewelry making
There are several free and paid resources to learn jewelry making. If you are planning to take up jewelry making as a business, it is better to take things seriously and learn from a pro. Here I have listed some popular resources to learn jewelry making.
- Howcast – How to make jewelry
- Jewelry making classes on Bluprint
- Free online courses from Beaducation
- Jewelry design schools in the US
Where to find raw material to make jewelry
Here I have listed down some popular marketplaces to buy jewelry supplies. You can find raw material and tools from these suppliers.
- Jewelry supplies from Alibaba
- Beads, jewelry making and props from Aliexpress
- Gemstones and beads from Firemountaingems
- Sterling silver and other raw material from Wholesalejewelrysupply
- Gems from Gemselect
- Suppliers from Tucson Gem and Jewelry show
Re-selling jewelry from wholesale suppliers
If you don’t have any design ideas or time to spend making jewelry, you can simply re-sell jewelry from wholesale suppliers. In this way, you can start to sell jewelry online as a side business.
Using dropshipping as the order fulfillment method
Dropshipping is an online retail fulfillment method. That means you don’t have to “pre-purchase” jewelry to sell online. If you use dropshipping, you can list the products from your supplier on your online store; Once you get an order, you can forward that order to your supplier, who will pack and deliver the product directly to your customer.
Dropshipping is a low-risk e-commerce business module. If you like to learn more about dropshipping, check What is dropshipping – the complete guide.
How to find wholesale jewelry suppliers
There are several popular wholesale suppliers for jewelry. I have created a dropshipping supplier directory in a separate post. So, I can keep that updated every year. If you are looking for wholesale suppliers or dropshipping suppliers for jewelry, please read How to find dropshipping suppliers + supplier directory.
Don’t sell counterfeit jewelry online
This is an extremely vital thing to remember. When you search for jewelry suppliers to sell online, you will come across a large number of “look-alike” products for famous brands.
Almost all of these counterfeit jewelry are made with low-quality material. After just a couple of months, these fake jewelry will start fading or breaking. Then the customers will spread bad reviews about your online jewelry business, avoiding your chances of making any future sales. So, you will have to close down your online jewelry store.
Also, if you sell jewelry on popular marketplaces like eBay or Amazon, they will ban you for selling counterfeit jewelry. And, sometimes you will have to face lawsuits too.
Setup an online store to sell jewelry online
You can sell jewelry in many different places. You can sell them on popular marketplaces like eBay, Etsy or Amazon. Also, you can sell jewelry on your own online store.
Sell jewelry on popular online marketplaces
- Sell jewelry on eBay – Selling on eBay is a great way to get started with e-commerce. You don’t have to make any up-front fees for selling jewelry on eBay. And, it is comparatively easier to set up an eBay store. Try How to sell on eBay
- Sell jewelry on Amazon Handmade – You can also use Amazon to sell jewelry online. Apparently, Amazon is the most popular e-commerce marketplace in the US. So, you can easily piggyback their popularity to sell more products. Try Amazon handmade jewelry.
- Sell jewelry on Etsy – Etsy is the most popular marketplaces for arts and crafts. Unlike eBay or Amazon, Etsy is an established niche market for such products. Try Etsy jewelry.
- Sell jewelry on Bonanza – Bonanza is catching up with eBay and Amazon as an alternative marketplace. So, it might be a wise move to start selling jewelry on Bonanza. Unlike eBay and Amazon, you won’t find a lot of cut-throat competition on Bonanza. Try Bonanza handmade jewelry.
- Other marketplaces to sell jewelry online – There are several other online marketplaces to sell jewelry. For example, Zibbet, Artfire, and Rubylane are other popular choices to sell jewelry online.
Sell jewelry on your own e-commerce store
Having your own e-commerce store is not a must to sell jewelry online. But, if you have your own e-commerce website, it will be easier for you to build a brand identity for your business, and avoid all the listing fees of using other marketplaces. This will ultimately lead you to make more profits from your online jewelry business. Here I will give you the basic steps of starting an e-commerce store.
- Plan ahead – Planning is an essential step in building a successful business. An online store is a significant investment in terms of money and your time. So, try to minimize the possibilities of failures. It can be hard and costly to “make drastic changes” after establishing your online presence. Please check How to plan an online business strategy.
- Select the optimum tools and services – There are different options to build an e-commerce store. You can select services like Shopify to create your e-commerce store without much effort or knowledge about web development. Also, if you like to have more design freedom, you can use services like WordPress+WooCommerce+Hosting to build your e-commerce website. If you are not the most tech-savvy person around, maybe you can hire a freelancing web-developer from Upwork to develop your e-commerce store too. For more information, please read How to create a business website.
- Purchase a domain – Domain is like the location of your business. Same as the physical location of a brick and motor store, the domain is one of the most crucial decisions for an online store. When you select a domain name, now you can purchase extensions like .jewelry too. Also, make sure to choose a domain name that will not limit any expansions for your business. For example, if you choose Pritchettbracelets.com, you won’t be able to expand your business beyond bracelets. Please check How to choose a domain name.
- Create a brand identity – The brand identity is the voice and face of your business. Brand identity can make or kill a business. Especially when it comes to selling jewelry online, a brand identity design has a lot to do. For more information, read how to create a brand identity for your business.
- Add e-commerce functions – To sell jewelry online, you need to add e-commerce functionalities to your website. For example, you need to integrate a payment gateway, have the SSL certificate for the data protection, etc. It is better to follow the blogs and forums of the service that you have used to develop your website to get more information about how to do all these.
- Add jewelry listings – Adding product listings to your e-commerce store is another important task. Under product listings, we have basic content types. The jewelry photos and product descriptions. When you add jewelry photos on your e-commerce store, you need to add the optimum quality images. We will talk about product photography for jewelry in the next step. When you write product descriptions, you need to write unique and SEO friendly content. Please read 5 common mistakes of product description writing for more details.
Product photography for jewelry business
When you sell jewelry online, unlike some other products, product photography plays a vital role. Online jewelry sale is more or less run on visual intrigues. So, having the right photo is essential to make a sale in your online jewelry business.
Sometimes, product photography for jewelry can be a challenge. It is not easy to capture details with shiny surfaces. It requires the right tools and the right skills to capture jewelry photos. So, even if you are on a budget, don’t hesitate to invest in a proper lighting setup and a professional product photographer (at least until you learn the art).
Also, don’t hesitate to your props and real models for best results. When I say have models, don’t get overwhelmed. There are plenty of “Rising Stars” who will be happy to work with you on a budget. Also, they can help you with influencer marketing too. We’ll discuss “marketing” in the next step.
Additional Reading: Common mistakes of jewelry product photography
Marketing for your jewelry business
Alright, folks, our target is to sell jewelry online. So far, we have discussed how to set up an online jewelry business. And, now we are going to discuss how to sell jewelry online. Online marketing is the key to success for any e-commerce business. So, we need to understand the best marketing strategy for our online jewelry business.
How to use influencer marketing to sell jewelry online
For niches like jewelry, influencer marketing can do magic. When I say influencer marketing, don’t start thinking about having a Kardashian to promote your jewelry business. (If you have money, by all means, do so). Those who are on a budget, don’t worry, it is not costly to build a good influencer marketing campaign for your products.
I will share an excellent example of how I have used influencer marketing for one of my previous online dropshipping jewelry stores.
“This one time, I have promoted a dropshipping jewelry brand with a trending Instagram influencer by naming a product pack after her and gifting her with this product pack. She got super excited to get a jewelry brand named after her, and she went overboard promoting my jewelry store .“
It costs me nothing more than the cost of a single product pack for this marketing campaign. So, that is the power of partnering with rising stars. You are new, and they are new. Together, you can cross-promote each other to build your businesses.
Other marketing strategies to sell jewelry online
Influencer marketing is not the only way to promote your online jewelry business. Social media marketing is another effective way to sell jewelry online.
There are 2.5 million social media users, and I am pretty sure that your potential customers must be among them. So, if your online jewelry business doesn’t have a social media marketing strategy, you are literally leaving the money on the table.
With social media marketing, all you have to do is just create an account and start posting. After you get a good number of followers, you will see the magic in social media marketing in front of your eyes.
Related – Post on Facebook at the correct time
Are you ready to sell jewelry online?
Of course, you do. Now you have all the essential information about starting your own online jewelry business. So, as we have discussed, all you have to do is, start by creating a business plan to sell jewelry online.
You can choose a niche to sell jewelry online and source the products accordingly. Then, you can design a brand identity for your online jewelry business, and start selling on popular online marketplaces and on your own e-commerce website.
I sincerely wish for your success in selling jewelry online. Have a good one.